Job Location: Bellingham, WA
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Department: Business Services
Supervisor: Accounting Manager
Direct Reports: None
Open Date: November 11, 2020
Close Date: November 30, 2020
Anvil Corporation is a 100% ESOP-owned corporation providing full-service engineering, design, procurement, and project management services to the refining and petrochemical industries. The company was founded in 1971 on the belief that when service providers meet or exceed client expectations, they will be rewarded with more work. Since inception, Anvil has forged many long-term successful relationships by demonstrating an unwavering commitment to excellence. Anvil serves clients throughout the Western and Central U.S., Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada.
We are One Anvil – With full-service branches in Alaska, California, Colorado, Montana, and Washington, we promote a “One Anvil” concept in all offices. “One Anvil” ensures we seamlessly execute projects and programs across offices, providing consistent, documented quality services regardless of office location.
The Accountant I prepares a variety of reconciliations and documentation to assist in tracking the organization’s assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liabilities, and other related financial activities. The position serves as the backup for payroll processing to ensure pay is processed on-time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide support to the Accounting Manager in creating internal consolidated financial statements. Support includes proposing adjusting journal entries and balance sheet account reconciliation.
- Apply accounting theory to create supporting schedules and interface with external auditors during the annual corporate, 401(k), and ESOP audits.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Create and submit quarterly payroll tax returns.
- Provide back up support for running payroll and secondary approval of timesheets to the Payroll/Benefits Administrator.
- Support the Payroll /Benefits Administrator in reconciliation of benefits to payroll.
- Maintain client billing rate rosters, build up reports, and payment reconciliations.
- Monitor and initiate proper renewals of state business and engineering licenses. Research licensing requirements in states where we are not already doing business and apply independent judgment to make recommendations to the Accounting Manager regarding Nexus requirements.
- Maintain accounting and inventory of files kept in storage. Assure that the company follows consistent labeling practices and follows IRS mandated disposal schedules.
- Perform financial analysis projects as needed.
- Provide analysis on other projects as required.
- Follow Anvil’s safety policies as outlined in the Anvil Safety Manual.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general financial accounting and cost accounting.
- Solid working knowledge of accounting, internal controls, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent keyboarding skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
- Up to two years of accounting experience preferred.
- Able to sit, type, and perform computer work for long periods of time.
- Frequent use of hands/fingers for computer entry.
- Able to perform occasional bending, lifting, and reaching.
**Anvil Corp is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans.